1. Line a 2 qt. square baking dish with parchment paper, allowing paper to hang over edges. Set aside.
2. In a 2 qt. saucepan stir together 1 cup of the sugar and pectin. Add applesauce, juice, and a pinch of salt. Bring just to boiling, stirring constantly. Add remaining 1 cup sugar and return to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar.
3. Clip on a candy thermometer. Cook over medium heat until 225 degrees. Cook 3 minutes more and remove from heat. Stir in food coloring.
4. Pour into prepared dish. Cool slightly. Cover. Chill overnight.
**Even after chilling overnight, mine were still very jiggly. Maybe they'd do better in the freezer for a while?
5. Sprinkle parchment paper with 1/4 cup sugar. Turn mixture out onto sugar.
6. Cut into 1-inch cubes with a clean, hot knife. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
**By this point, mine were nearly melting, so I put them in the freezer to harden up.
**I think I may not have cooked them to a high enough temperature. They are very jelly-ish.
In "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" Clark receives a gift certificate to the Jelly of the Month Club from his boss Mr. Shirley instead of a Christmas bonus.