2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups finely shredded carrot (I used a 1 lb. bag of carrots)
3/4 cup cooking oil
3/4 cup mixed dried fruit bits (I used dried figs)
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger, or 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger (I used fresh ginger. The smell is amazing!)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9" round cake pans. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, beat eggs; stir in carrot, oil, dried fruit bits, and ginger. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pans.
4. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
(2) 3 oz. packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 Tablespoon apricot brandy or orange juice
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
1 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted (optional) - I forgot to toast mine but they still tasted good raw.
Directions for Frosting:
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, butter, and brandy or orange juice. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add 2 cups of the sifted powdered sugar, beating until mixed. Gradually beat an additional 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 cups sifted powdered sugar to make spreading consistency. Stir in the shredded orange peel. After frosting the cake, top with the pecans, if desired.